Saturday, October 15, 2005

Wikipedia offline.

I'm not done with this yet, but I am working on running the latest backup of Wikipedia on a computer not connected to the internet nor Wikimedia/Wikipedia servers.

For those who don't already know;

  • Wikipedia is a project under the Wikimedia Foundation.

  • MediaWiki is a PHP/MySQL application which hosts and serves the contents of the Wikimedia Foundation's projects, including Wikipedia.



What this means for those who don't already understand, is that with a running copy of PHP, MySQL, and MediaWiki (all of which are open source and free of charge) along with a properly populated MySQL database any computer can host and view the contents of Wikipedia without a connection to the internet nor Wikimedia/Wikipedia servers.

More later, once I've accomplished my goal...

For information regarding obtaining a copy of the latest database backups of Wikipedia or other Wikimedia projects see Wikipedia:Database Download on Wikipedia.org.

No comments:

Users